Nothing, absolutely nothing will get people to like you as well as a sense of humor. English essayist, William Hayslet, pointed out in his classic essay, “On Wit and Humor,” that man is the only animal that laughs and weeps. He states that man is the only animal that is struck with the difference of what things are and what they ought to be
A sense of humor is like a Rolls Royce; everybody wants one but not everybody knows how to acquire one. Most of us know a funny joke when we hear one, but most of us don’t know what makes it funny. It either seems funny or it doesn’t.
My purpose is not to try to turn you into a standup comedian. Many times these people are not taken seriously and sometimes lack credibility. But when we understand humor better, we will be better able to see laughter in the world around us. We will then become known as a person with a great sense of humor.
Did you know there are only 5 jokes in the world, only 5 things that make people laugh? Some of you are thinking, you’re crazy, I can turn on cable TV every night and watch comedians spin jokes for hours. That’s true, but they are all variations of the same 5 jokes. To develop a sense of humor you need to know how to utilize these 5 principles:
1. Exaggeration – probably the first joke in the history of civilization. Johnny Carson had some of the most famous lines….”it was so cold that, or “it was so hot that…”
Most golfing stories are exaggeration jokes: ”Why did it take so long to play? Well Harry has a heart attack on the 5th hole and it was, hit the ball, drag Harry, hit the ball drag Harry and so on…”
Probably the first joke was: Org millions of years ago went hunting because he was sooooo hungry he could eat a brontosaurus burger.
2. A Pun, taking a word out of context, –Henny Youngman made this popular, “take my wife………PLEASE! Or, did you know they talked about Hondas in the Bible, “when the Disciples were in one Accord” THAT’S A PUN. It usually gets more of a groan than a laugh.
3. The third is the” Put Down.” Made famous in the past by comedy teams like Martin and Lewis, Abbott and Costello, Sonny and Cher, The Smothers Brothers and so on. Individual comedians do it today. One of the most famous is the guy who says this, “I don’t get no respect…”.Rodney Dangerfield.
And what about me, my baldness:. I always knew I would be bald, I always thought I would come out on top or, I don’t worry about being bald, I wear my hair departed on both sides.
4. Number four is silliness. Three Stooges, Marx Brothers or Monty Python. Examples like pie throwing, walking silly, or Groucho Marx saying “last night I killed an elephant in my pajamas….How he got in my pajamas I’ll never know.”
5. The final category is the surprise joke or the “train wreck” with the element of surprise. Ex; “My wife and I NEVER have disagreements anymore. I raked her over the coals once and I didn’t see her for two weeks……after that I could see her a little out of my left eye.” They ARE ALL the same joke only the words are changed. Put your punch line as close to the end as possible.
Carlyle once wrote,” True humor springs not more from the head than from the heart.–It is not contempt; its essence is love.–It issues not in laughter, but in still smiles, which lie far deeper.
Watch your thoughts, they become words.
Watch your words they become actions.
Watch your actions, they become habits.
Watch your habits, they become character.
Watch your character it becomes your destiny.
Don’t forget to laugh!
Comments are closed.